Monday, May 7, 2012

You have decided to give several hours of your time each month to improve the community where you live. What is one thing you will do to improve your community? Why? Use specific reasons and details to explain your choice.

I live in Nepal, a beautiful Himalayan country that is nestled in the highest mountains in the world. I live in a very traditional community in the capital Kathmandu. One thing that I would like to do to improve my community is to clean up the area of the community and install a waste disposal protocol for the residents.
I would like to improve cleanliness in my community because my community suffers from a chronic lack of knowledge about the ill effects of poor sanitation. People throw garbage right on the street in front of their houses. The sight of people spitting on the street is common and it is a fact of life that people often urinate into open drains at the side of the street. This lack of knowledge is what is causing our community to degenerate day by day. People do not associate the common diseases that they suffer from with the lack of cleanliness in our community. Thus, if I could educate them about waste disposal it would be helpful in improving the health of the community as a whole. 
I would also like to tackle the problem of sanitation in my community in order for the community to make my community a model community that will be an example for all other communities in the city. If I succeed in my endeavors, it will result in other communities following suit and thus this will result in the whole city becoming cleaner and healthier. In our city, there are cholera, dysentery and malaria epidemics and this is all due to the lack of facilities for waste disposal and cleanliness. The sheer volume of the work ahead and the lack of funding and resources overwhelm the government. Thus, my effort will also be a great help to the government and will take a big burden of its shoulders.
Thus, I would really like to help my community in this way because every individual has the right to live an aware and healthy life. Society, as a whole will be benefited by my endeavors and I will be able to make a great impact upon people by improving their lives through my sanitation module. 

No comments:

Post a Comment